The mission of the Jones Center for Leadership and Service is to educate and engage all students to lead and serve the global community.
We believe everyone has the ability and responsibility to engage in leadership as a process, advocate for social justice, and better the world.
It is our sincere hope that this vision is reflective of our commitment to leadership and service being shared goals and experiences at The University of Tennessee, and that we are all teachers, learners and participants in this process. Leadership and Service cannot only “live” in one office or area of campus- we hope to help lead a shared commitment to providing collaborative opportunities that will enrich a campus culture of leadership and service that will in turn change the world.
The Jones Center for Leadership and Service is guided in mission, spirit, and action by the following core values:
- Civility—that all members of our communities be treated with dignity and our differences are celebrated
- Authenticity-that we are able to show up as our true selves and share space with others in an authentic way
- Community—that we seek to bring together and unite individuals through a common purpose
- Integrity—that we seek to discern what is right and act accordingly and authentically
- Compassion—that an ethic of care informs our work
- Inclusion—that intentionally including diverse thought, experiences, cultures and identities benefits us all
- Diligence—that we are persistent and sincere in our work
- Justice—that we contribute to a fair and just society
- Learning—that each day presents an opportunity to expand, develop, and reflect upon knowledge and practice
- Service—that we shadow ourselves to give light to others
- Respect—that we demonstrate consideration and thoughtfulness in all we do
- Support—to give encouragement and assistance
- Engagement—that all have the opportunity to interact intentionally in our campus and community
- Development– that we all seek to grow and be challenged as teachers and learners
- Advocacy– that we will use our voices, positions and privileges to support our students and community members
As a result of their involvement in the JCLS, students will be able to:
- Describe and employ their personal leadership style
- Identify areas of community need and means in which to serve it
- Articulate a heightened sense of civility, justice and respect for those around them
- Define and practice the tenets of positive social change
- Identify their core values and commit to act on them
- Define heightened self-awareness as it relates to personal strengths, privileges, preferences and challenges
One Campus. One Community. Celebrate the Differences.
The Jones Center for Leadership and Service is dedicated to facilitating meaningful experiences that expose students to diverse cultures through community involvement in a broad array of activities that extend learning, foster leadership skills, and promote civic responsibility. We strive to promote a culture of inclusion and a community where diverse opinions, backgrounds, and practices have the opportunity to be voiced, heard, and respected. We are a welcoming, safe, affirming, and nurturing environment based upon cherishing the dignity of each individual. As an office, we celebrate individuals who represent different groups as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, age, disability, national origin and religion.
We hope you will join us.
As we work to educate and engage all students to lead and serve in a global community, we are committed to providing experiences that are either free or at cost with scholarship options for all participants. As part of that commitment, we absorb most participant expenses for food, transportation, supplies, housing, etc. To provide leadership and service experiences for as many students as possible, we recover these costs for students who fail to attend by assessing a financial hold. Learn more about this policy.