A 10-day winter break international immersion experience in Prague, Czech Republic, was held December 27, 2018 – January 6, 2019
This short-term study abroad experience allowed students to learn about active citizenship through a global perspective. The winter experience and follow-up spring course provided an in-depth understanding of the history, events, and current political climate in Prague in order to gain a better understanding of the root causes of the social issues in the Czech Republic.
Upon completion of the winter experience, students took a first session spring semester course where they reflected on their experience and explore ways they can engage with and serve the refugee population in Knoxville.
Information about the 2019-20 International Immersion Experience will be available soon.
Highlights of the 2019 Experience
- Volunteer with Dignity Restoring Hope a non-governmental organization (NGO) whose sole purpose is to assist displaced people no matter their race, background or religion.
- City tour of Prague
- Visit to Terezin concentration camp
- Meet with individuals who are acting as positive social change agents in their community around issues of refugees, homelessness and human trafficking
- Students must be a Sophomore or higher
- Students must be in good standing with the University and have at least a 2.0 GPA
Academic Credit (for Winter 2019 trip)
Students must attend the 10-day winter break experience AND complete the spring first session course upon returning to campus (ELPS 495: Prague Immersion Experience). The course will count as an elective in the Leadership Studies Minor.
Estimated Cost (for Winter 2019 trip)
Program Fee: $2,150.00 (see below for details)
Study Abroad Fee: $175.00
Billable subtotal: $2,325.00
Estimated Roundtrip Transportation from Knoxville: $1,800.00
Estimated Personal Expenses: $50.00
Non-billable estimated subtotal: $1,995.00
Estimated Total: $4,320.00
Program fee includes: Group airport transfers; transportation and entry to program-related activities; international insurance; accommodations; and all meals in-country. Please note that all costs are estimates and subject to change. Estimated personal expenses may vary depending on spending habits.