The Division of Student Life – Student Leadership Development Fund provides opportunities to student organizations/groups who would like to attend a conference/event focused on the mission/goal of their specific student organization.
Requirements and Restrictions
- All applicants must be full-time students pursuing an undergraduate degree and be in good standing with the University.
- Funding cannot be granted for conferences that take place after a student’s official gradutation from the University.
- If applying for summer travel, the student must be registered for classes at UTK in the coming fall.
- Only one award can be received per student, per academic year.
- Student organizations/groups must list a faculty or staff as an *official mentor/partner/advocate for the opportunity.
Before applying for the Division of Student Life – Student Leadership Development Fund please review the list of required documentation below to ensure that your group is prepared to include all necessary information.
- A completed online application form includes:
- information on all students who will be attending the conference/event
- conference/event information
- Short Essay Question
- A letter of recommendation from your faculty/staff student organization/group advisor. This letter should include the mentor’s thoughts on how attending your selected conference or event will impact your leadership development. Letters can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Current résumé emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of Selection
Response time depends on receipt of your application and letter of recommendation. Please allow two to three weeks for the review process to be completed. You will receive an email of the decision prior to you attending the conference/event. For questions, email email@example.com.
Receiving of Funds
Funds are will be provided to students prior to attending the conference/event via a travel advance. Students will receive instructions about how to obtain the funds and the steps necessary in reconciling funds after the event when they are notified of selection. Funds are to only cover the following expenses:
- Conference/Event Registration
- Travel (UTK car rental or gas for personal vehicle)
Funds will not cover meals or flights.
Applications may be submitted up to six months in advance and no later than 30 days prior to the start of the conference. Funds are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis per semester.