A 7-day spring break international immersion experience in Prague, Czech Republic
This short-term study abroad experience allows students to learn about active citizenship through a global perspective. The spring experience and course provides an in-depth understanding of the history, events, and current political climate in Prague in order to gain a better understanding of the root causes of social issues in the Czech Republic.
Applications for Spring 2020 are closed. Please check back next year for the 2021 application.
Highlights of the Experience
- Volunteer with Dignity Restoring Hope a non-governmental organization (NGO) whose sole purpose is to assist displaced people no matter their race, background or religion.
- City tour of Prague
- Visit to Terezin concentration camp
- Meet with individuals who are acting as positive social change agents in their community around issues of refugees, homelessness and human trafficking
- Students must be a Sophomore or higher
- Students must be in good standing with the University and have at least a 2.0 GPA
Students must attend the 7-day spring break experience AND complete the spring course (ELPS 495: Prague Immersion Experience). The course will count as an elective in the Leadership Studies Minor.
Estimated Cost (for Winter 2019 trip)
Program Fee: $2,200.00 (see below for details)
Study Abroad Fee: $175.00
Billable subtotal: $2,375.00
Estimated Roundtrip Transportation from Knoxville: $1,800.00
Estimated Additional Meals: $150.00
Estimated Personal Expenses: $120.00
Non-billable estimated subtotal: $2,215.00
Estimated Total: $4,590.00
Scholarships are available.
Program fee includes: all accommodations, group dinners, excursions listed in the program description, insurance, service activity coordination, and public transportation pass. **Please note that all costs are estimates and subject to change and estimated personal expenses may vary depending on spending habits.
Payment schedule: A $750 non-refundable deposit is due December 2, 2019. The remaining program fee and study abroad fee are due according to the regular university payment deadlines for the spring semester. Payments are made via your MyUTK account.